5.11.2011

bugaboo

roaches happen.
it's true.
in any food service industry, whether it be full service restaurant or coffee house, you will attract cockroaches. it's just a matter of fact and that is why i get regular pest control service.

in my part of the world german cockroaches are the biggest bother because they are resilient and populate quickly. you can't wait until you see evidence of an infestation to call the bug man. or you can, but will have to deal with roaches for days, if not weeks, while you wait for the effects of the pesticides to do their magic.

being in the food service industry for as long as i have, i've seen plenty of these german cockroaches. i hate them. they are quick and unafraid and i revel in finding their upturned carcasses. and because i've seen so many, i can tell when a roach is of a different variety.

cue weird customer who came in last week.
he claimed to have been meaning to come into my coffee house for weeks. he asked questions, like how long we'd been in business, did we have a lot of customers, etc. at first i thought he was from a rival coffee house (believe it or not i've had more than a few "fishers" come in or call me, digging for info on my coffee blends), but it soon became clear he really didn't know much about coffee. he didn't even know how to order it. he stood at my counter for close to five minutes. it was like extracting teeth just to figure out he wanted a large black coffee.
and then he made sure to sit in a chair just in front of my register and continued to talk to me, though he never once took a sip of his coffee.

low and behold, during our conversation, i saw a roach walking on my counter. not a small, dark german cockroach, but a larger, very light brown roach. i swiftly killed it and it was at that point he informed me that he worked for a large and well-known pest control company. he asked me who i used, and spend the next few minutes pitching his services to me. he then left, without ever drinking his coffee.

now i'm not saying it's impossible for a non-german roach to make it's way into my store. i'm not even saying non-german roaches can't coexist with the german ones. but what i am saying is i haven't had a single roach sighting since, and this guy has contacted me by phone to quote me his service charge, even though i've told him i'm quite happy with my pest control guy.

if he calls again i'll just tell him to quit bugging me.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

'quit bugging me' Hahahahahahahaha!
And gross! Do you think he had it in his wallet or something?? That's going over the line! Seriously sick!

Experiment 5HK275JMUS said...

ugh, i think we have silverfish that I occasionally see near the sinks at my coffee house.

usually i do a big gasp, and crush it with whatever's close.

or if there is a fly around, i try and snap a towel at it if i'm bored. i do remember working with my friend one summer, and getting a towel stuck on the ceiling.

good times!

Ken said...

Right! He carries those things around in his pockets!

Zoltar Panaflex said...

I'd have to say you had two roaches visit you the other day....

SkippyMom said...

Hmmm, how convenient for the pest control guy.

What a jerk.

maggie said...

the only good cockroach is a dead cockroach ! !

madMad said...

NAWRF!!!!!